Good morning, Class.
Please rise and face the American flag, place your hand on your heart in a “civilian salute,” and pledge your allegiance.
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Be seated, please, and take out your writing materials. Today we will be picking up where we left off last week, with our analysis of Barack Obama’s rise to power and the means by which he exploited and undermined the Constitution of these United States.
Remember, Class, understanding history is important, for if we do not learn from it, we are certain to repeat it, and I think many of us agree that the Obama dictatorship is something we never wish to repeat. Others among us may believe that the Obama dictatorship was a good idea, but poorly executed. Either way, looking at the series of actions that led to the decades-long suspension of our Constitution provides much fodder for discussion and analysis.
For this assignment, I will be providing you with a number of news stories from a variety of historical archives. Historians have agreed that the crucial build-up to the collapse of the American republic took place during the first two years of Obama’s legitimate presidency, so the time line for the following events begins in January 2009 and ends in December 2010. We’ve been examining these individual events, laws, mandates, and policies at length but in isolation; therefore, your next task will be to develop a cohesive essay that connects at least three (3) of the provided news stories and explores the ways in which the actions they depict worked together to amass Obama’s totalitarian power.
- Obama White House asks Americans to turn in their fellow citizen for dissenting with the administration‘s policies. Also known as: “flag the fishy,” “McCarthy-style ‘fish’ hunts,” “a ridiculous and frightening request that marries the paranoia of Nixon with the fascism of Hitler.”
- The TSA is granted unprecedented and unConstitutional power to search innocent citizens without reasonable suspicion, based solely on the purchase of an airline ticket (remember, Class, this was before all airlines were seized by the federal government). Also known as: “Tyrannical Sexual Assault..”
- The FCC is granted unprecedented power to censor and control the internet (remember, Class, the head of the FCC publicly stated that one of the goals of this “net neutrality” is to “control how information gets filtered and funneled to the American people”).
- Federal government seizes millions of acres of land. Also know as: “stealth land grabs”
- Federal government amasses unprecedented power and control over national healthcare, college loans, banks, auto companies.
- Federal government clamps down on individual right to garden (fresh fruits and vegetables) and on farmers’ markets.
- Obama administration moves for internet “kill” switch and a means of blocking private cell phones.
- Picking up on his campaign promise to develop a civilian security force that is just as well-trained and just as well-funded as the United States military, Obama makes several moves: TSA expansion of power (including to train, bus, and metro stations–as well as sporting and other public events); moving the national guard off the southern borders; and pushed for the Universal National Services Act (along the lines of Obama’s youth camps and “mandatory volunteerism.”).
- Obama administration sends $60 billion in arms to Muslim state Saudi Arabia while Congress is in recess.
- TSA and DHS memos mandate that anyone “opting out” of TSA invasive screening measures and anyone who is conservative should be regarded as potential terrorists and “domestic extremists.“
- Department of Justice installs new policy of “racial justice” that dictates that no crime committed by a black person upon a white person will be prosecuted.
- Administration repeatedly attacks Fox News, including attempting to shut them out of the White House Press Pool.
- Obama administration turns publicly-funded National Endowment for the Arts into a propaganda arm of the White House.
- Administration explores electricity “kill switches” to private homes.
- Obama White House pushes for the “greening of America.”
- Government-sponsored, publicly-funded “news” agencies begin with proposal of the United States Department of Labor “News” Agency.
- Obama administration turns to the U. N. for a small arms treaty that would disarm law-abiding citizens in the U. S.
Using course principles, begin by organizing these individual events (not an exhaustive list, so feel free to add an additional event, policy, or law that fits the assignment) in a way that you can best demonstrate the intent and effects of the totality of these policies, laws, mandates, and actions.
You may consider grouping them in linear fashion, grouping them according to policy area (media and limiting free speech, 2nd Amendment, control of food supplies, economy, foreign relations, etc.), or by some other means that makes sense to you and reflects the best practices of developing a critical framework.
Take ten (10) minutes to brainstorm and freewrite, then take five (5) minutes to develop an outline. Use the remaining class time to write your essay. Be sure to include both an introduction and a conclusion.
[Instructors’ Guidelines: your goal in this assignment is to instill in students a curiosity about past events, to foster “big picture” thinking and analysis vs. the one-event focus that collapsed the Union, and to encourage intellectual autonomy.]